Printerfriendly 


Definition of Levels!

University

Teacher’s perspective:

Lecture, Computer-based learning and Company based learning

Results indicate that lectures, computer-based learning and company based learning were the most successful methods. Lecturing was most successful if restricted to 25% of the overall teaching process. Computer-based learning and company based learning were most successful when accounted for 25%-50%.

Students’ perspective:

Lecture, Individual training, Practical skills development and Mentoring consultancy

Students indicated little differences between the successes of the methods. Computer based learning, practical skills development and mentoring consultancy increased their motivation and success rate. Mentoring consultancy was perceived as being the most successful.

Learn more about University level >>
The countries involved at University level were the UK and Bulgaria involving a total of eight teachers and trainers. The study in the UK was centred on the delivery of a work based foundation degree and the course was at an equivalent level to the first two years of a traditional degree programme and comprised a broad range of engineering related subjects. The study in Bulgaria centred on a number of discrete subject based courses in physical chemistry, informatics, mine lighting and electrical/electronic engineering. All results and furthermore conclusions drawn at University level refer to In search of Excellence – developed teaching to improve learning.

Conclusion and recomendation at Advanced level
Achieving a balance across a number of teaching methods is essential.
Although very successful the proportion of formal lectures should be restricted.
The use of practical skills development and computer-based learning enhanced the learning process.
Increasing the use of practical skills development over 25% did not increase the achievement of the course objectives.
 
1. Introducing more computer based learning allows a student-centred approach. This enables students to visualise material as well as interact with it.
2. Teachers need to be experienced in the use and application of computers and also have a high level of practical skills. Teachers need to be skilled over a complete range of teaching methods including computer-based learning, practical skills development, individual training and the mentoring of students.
3. Practical sessions support students in their understanding of theory by helping them to visualising the connection of situations to concepts. In company training can provide students with more realistic practical skills development or make assignments more relevant to the work that they are doing.
4. Achieving a balance of teaching methods is the most important variable in the success of the course as well as maintaining student’s interest and motivation.
5. Skilled technical support is essential for the use of advanced technical equipment and computers.